|crazythinker00 (crazythinker00) wrote,|
@ 2013-12-12 21:19:00
My favorite sweet foods
When I was a kid, I loved most sweets - both Indian and Western sweets. I should be clear that when I mention sweets, I am referring to anything that happens to taste sweet (other than fruits). I'm not proud of it, but I can safely say that I wasn't alone in terms of loving sweets as a kid. As I got older, though, my sweet tooth gradually reduced. Now, as I'm starting life as a 30-plus year old (okay, fine, as a 31-year-old), I think of all of the sweet foods I used to eat as a kid. Among these sweets, I have many for which I wonder: "Wow, did I really eat that back then?" Some such sweets are: doughnuts (especially the powdered ones), Honey Nut Cheerios, Froot Loops, Jolly Ranchers, and lollipops. Now, I can't imagine eating any of these - in fact, I am surprised that I haven't lost any of my teeth after all of the abuse I have put them through. While I still have a sweet tooth (and am not proud of it), I am very selective and particular about the kinds of sweets I choose to eat.
Now that I am more discerning (and yes, wary) when it comes to sweets, I can manage to come up with a list of my most favorite sweets without too much work. What are these sweets?
* Indian: laddoos/laddus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laddu
* Middle-Eastern/European: baklava (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baklava)
* Non-dairy ice cream, especially the kinds produced by Turtle Mountain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Mo
* Chocolate chip cookies (egg-less)
* Dark chocolate (especially the ones with some crunch/chili in them - among my favorites is the Dark Chocolate - Rice Crunch (as shown here: http://www.tastethedream.com/products/c
* Ginger candy (no gelatin or eggs)
* Earth Cafe cheesecake
So far, I have tried their 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Who's Your Daddy' cheesecakes, and I find them to be great. If I ever go back to regular cheesecake, I'll probably find it too rich for my liking
Yes, my sweet tooth will be completely satisfied with any or all of the above. Today, I had half of a besan laddu for dessert today, and that was heaven.